- 1 Usman Khawaja
- 2 Khawaja to captain Brisbane Heat
- 3 Career Batting Stats
- 4 Usman Khawaja on News Today August 17, 2022
- 5 Usman Khawaja in IPL
- 6 5 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT UZZY
- 7 He’s a qualified pilot
- 8 He’s a huge NBA fan
- 9 Uzzy’s favourite musician is Drake
- 10 He looooves fried chicken
- 11 He has his own Foundation
Usman Tariq Khawaja is an Australian cricketer who represents Australia and Queensland. Khawaja made his first-class cricket debut for New South Wales in 2008 and played his first international match for Australia in January 2011.
‘PSL Cannot Be Compared To IPL,’Usman Khawaja
National side: Australia (2011–present)
Last ODI: 6 July 2019 v South Africa
Born: 18 December 1986 (age 35);
Place of Birth: Islamabad, Pakistan
Spouse/Ex-: Rachel McLellan (M. 2018)
Father: Tariq Khawaja
Mother: Fozia Tariq
Siblings: Arsalan Khawaja, Nauman Khawaja
- Born in Pakistan, Khawaja moved with his family to Australia when he was a young boy, and in the 2011 Sydney Ashes Test became the first Muslim to play for Australia.
- Usman Tariq Khawaja was born on December 18, 1986, in Islamabad, Pakistan, to Tariq Khawaja and Fozia Tariq. He was the third child in the family and grew up with his two older brothers, Arsalan and Nauman. The family moved to New South Wales in Australia when Usman was 5 years old.
- The family settled in a small apartment on Cook Road, Centennial Park. Usman and his brothers started playing cricket in a park near their house. However, Usman faced a few difficulties while playing, as he was too young to play with the older boys in his group.
- He also did not know English when he arrived in Australia. That, too, created a lot of difficulties for Usman, as he was not able to mingle with the other kids and play street cricket with them.
- As a kid, Usman watched a lot of international matches at the ‘Sydney Cricket Ground,’ which was located a few minutes away from his house.
- The family lived amidst difficult conditions in their early years in Australia. They shifted to a bigger house in Erksine Park, near Penrith, when his father got a steady job as an IT architect.
- Usman faced a lot of racial discrimination when he was in school. Despite everything, he was academically good. Following his graduation from the ‘Westfields Sports High School,’ Usman enrolled at the ‘University of New South Wales’ and earned a degree in aviation. He earned his license as a pilot even before he got his driver’s license.
- However, his real forte lay in cricket. He had already started his domestic cricket career before he graduated from college.
- Usman is an ex-student of Westfields Sports School, which has also produced sportsmen of the calibre of Michael Clarke (former Australia captain)
- Usman Khawaja is an Australian cricketer who got married to Rachel McLellan in April 2018.
- Usman Khawaja is a Pakistani-born Australian cricketer who currently plays for the Australian national cricket team and the local team ‘Queensland.
- Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja has termed IPL as the best league in the world. He has said one cannot compare PSL to IPL.
Khawaja to captain Brisbane Heat
Usman Khawaja will complete his Queensland transformation with the Brisbane Heat today confirming it has signed the Queensland captain to a four-year contract to play in the KFC Big Bash League.
Khawaja to captain Brisbane Heat after signing four-year deal. Khawaja is Sydney Thunder’s all-time leading runs-scorer with 1,818 runs and a career strike-rate of 129.85. Khawaja has played 59 BBL games.
“I always thought I would finish off as a Thunder player, but it is funny how things change,’’Uzzy told brisbaneheat.com.au.
Australia Test opener Usman Khawaja has signed a four-year deal with Brisbane Heat and will captain his new club in the upcoming season when available after departing Sydney Thunder for family reasons.
Khawaja lives in Brisbane with his family and is Queensland’s Sheffield Shield and Marsh Cup captain but had remained with Thunder in the BBL up until now. The length of the contract means he will stay with Heat until he is at least 39. – ESPN
“I’ve said it for a long time, that Brisbane is home, Queensland is home, and to be here, captain of Queensland, and now joining the Heat – it is really exciting.”Khawaja
Khawaja will be Heat’s captain when he is available but he is set to miss the first part of the upcoming BBL season while on Test duty for Australia. He is set to be available following the completion of the Sydney Test against South Africa on January 8 with the BBL season likely to run until the end of that month. Jimmy Peirson, who captained Heat last season, will lead Heat when Khawaja is unavailable.
Career Batting Stats
Usman Khawaja on News Today August 17, 2022
WATCH: Steve Smith furious at Usman Khawaja after horrible run out mixup during Sri Lanka Test.
yeah smith called no, then heard a yes so he went, and then he looks back and khawaja has stopped running lol, very silly from both of them— Matty J (@Mattamotamus) June 29, 2022
Usman Khawaja Teams Played: Australia, Queensland, Australia A, Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Lancashire, New South Wales, Australia Under-19, Australian XI, Sydney Thunder, Rising Pune Supergiant, Islamabad United, Australians
Usman Khawaja in IPL
Usman Khawaja was a part of a former IPL franchisee team Rising Pune Super Giants. The left-handed batsman was part of Rising Pune Supergiant in IPL 2016 and played under MS Dhoni. Khawaja has played just one season of IPL in 2016. Usman Khawaja’s Highest Score in IPL is 30.
Australia batsman Usman Khwaja has picked the Indian Premier League (IPL) over the Pakistan Super League (PSL). Speaking at a presser, Khawaja called IPL as the ‘best and strongest’ league in the world.
5 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT UZZY
Family, fried chicken, and the F1… these are just a few of Uzzy’s favourite things. Below is 5 things you may not have known about the ‘People’s Champ’:
He’s a qualified pilot
This man can really do it all. Before Uzzy made his Australian Test debut, he studied a Bachelor of Aviation at the University of New South Wales and earnt his commercial pilot’s licence. In fact, he even had his basic pilot’s licence before he received his driver’s licence.
He’s a huge NBA fan
Uzzy loves all kinds of sports from tennis, golf, to the F1…but nothing excites him more than the NBA. At the top of Uzzy’s bucket list is to attend a Lakers game to see the great Lebron James play in person. He even called his much-loved Cavalier King Charles puppy Lebron!
Uzzy’s favourite musician is Drake
Uzzy loves most genres of music, but nothing gets him up and about as much as Drake. His favourite pump-up song by Drake is Nonstop. Aside from Drizzy, he also loves a bit of old school rock like Guns N’ Roses and Slash.
He looooves fried chicken
Uzzy’s favourite comfort food is fried chicken, with smoked meats in general at a close second. He’s often spotted enjoying a feed at Barbeque Mafia in Coorparoo which is his favourite place to eat in Brisbane.
He has his own Foundation
Something very close to Usman’s heart is the Usman Khawaja Foundation which gives kids from refugee, immigrant, Indigenous, rural, remote, and low-socioeconomic backgrounds the chance to play cricket and receive educational support. As the first Muslim and Pakistani-born Australian to receive a baggy green, Khawaja is passionate about promoting diversity and inclusion in sport and providing pathways in cricket for disadvantaged youth.