Babar Azam named captain of the Official ICC Upstox Most Valuable Team of the Tournament
There are players from six teams have been named in the Official ICC Men’s T20 World Cup ‘Upstox Most Valuable Team of the Tournament’
- Players from champions Australia, runners-up New Zealand, England, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa feature in the team selected on the basis of performances in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021
- There is no one from Indian Cricket Team in the Squad announced by ICC for T20 World Cup Most Valuable Team of the tournament.
Stars from champions Australia, runners-up New Zealand, semi-finalists England and Pakistan as well as Sri Lanka and South Africa feature in the star-studded line up. Opening batter David Warner, leg-spinner Adam Zampa and seamer Josh Hazlewood all make the cut for Australia after helping steer their side to their first ever ICC Men’s T20 World Cup title.
There are also spots for England ace Jos Buttler as wicketkeeper, Pakistan’s Babar Azam as captain, New Zealand left-armer Trent Boult and Sri Lanka star Wanindu Hasaranga – the tournament’s leading wicket-taker – in the line-up.
The side was pulled together by a selection panel featuring commentators, former international players and journalists Ian Bishop (Convenor), Natalie Germanos, Shane Watson, Lawrence Booth – of Wisden, the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday – and Shahid Hashmi of Agence France Presse and ARY Channel.
Selections were based predominantly on the Super 12 onward to the final.”
The team of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 (in batting order) is:
- David Warner (Australia) – 289 runs at 48.16
- Jos Buttler (wk) (England) – 269 runs at 89.66, five dismissals
- Babar Azam (Captain, Pakistan) – 303 runs at 60.60
- Charith Asalanka (Sri Lanka) – 231 runs at 46.20
- Aiden Markram (South Africa) – 162 runs at 54.00
- Moeen Ali (England) – 92 runs at strike rate of 131.42, seven wickets at 11
- Wanindu Hasaranga (Sri Lanka) – 16 wickets at 9.75
- Adam Zampa (Australia) – 13 wickets at 12.07
- Josh Hazlewood (Australia) – 11 wickets at 15.90
- Trent Boult (New Zealand) – 13 wickets at 13.30
- Anrich Nortje (South Africa) – nine wickets at 11.55
- 12th: Shaheen Afridi – seven wickets at 24.14
Most Valuable Team of the Tournament
David Warner, Jos Buttler, Babar Azam, Charith Asalanka, Aiden Markram, Moeen Ali, Wanindu Hasaranga, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood, Trent Boult, Anrich Nortje, Shaheen Afridi,