Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai
IPL 2023 Venue Brabourne Stadium: The Brabourne Stadium is a cricket ground in the Indian city of Mumbai, which was the home ground of IPL franchise Mumbai Indians. It can accommodate 50,000 people for sports matches. The ground is owned by the Cricket Club of India (CCI). The North Stand of the Brabourne housed the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) headquarters.
Women’s IPL 2023 Venues Brabourne Stadium History
Owned by the Cricket Club of India (CCI), Brabourne Stadium is India’s first permanent sporting venue. Established in 1937,
The foundation stone was laid by Lord Brabourne on 22 May 1936. The ground was intended to provide covered accommodation for 35,000 spectators and contain pavilions, tennis courts, and a swimming pool.
The ground was named after Brabourne at the suggestion of the Maharaja of Patiala.
The Brabourne has been identified as a Heritage Grade IIB structure. The stadium has a pavilion and three public stands, namely the West Stand, North Stand and East Stand. The three public stands face the clubhouse from three different sides of the ground and are sheltered by cavernous, overhanging roofs.
The pavilion can be divided into the clubhouse in the centre with the Governor’s Pavilion and the Maharaja of Patiala Pavilion on either side and is a three-story art deco nautical structure with rounded pediments, flagpoles and port-hole windows. The pavilion boasts of dark wood wall panelling and decorative marble floors. The walls of the pavilion are adorned with portraits of past and present cricketers and photographs of famous cricket matches.
The Brabourne Stadium has drawn praise from various quarters:
- Australian cricketer Keith Miller called the ground “the most complete ground in the world”,
- West Indian legend Frank Worrell stated that the Brabourne was the only ground in the world where he could be in his dressing gown until he had to pad up, hence he loved playing at the venue.
- According to Worrell’s compatriot, Brian Lara, “It is one of the most beautiful venues across the world. Perfect to host a good cricket match.”
- Former Indian captain Ajit Wadekar commented on the eve of the India-Sri Lanka test in 2009, “It is the ultimate dream for any cricketer to play at Lord’s; by the same token, every Indian cricketer would like to play at the CCI. It has a lovely atmosphere and that makes you feel different. You also play in front of a knowledgeable crowd.”
- Former Indian captain M. S. Dhoni stated, “… Of course, it is special to play at CCI. … It has a nice atmosphere.”
- Noted Journalist and Chairman of the Mid-Day group, Khalid A. H. Ansari wrote in his newspaper, “Having witnessed cricket the world over, I can confidently say that cricket at the alluring Brabourne Stadium is an experience without parallel.”
Women’s IPL 2023 Venues Brabourne Stadium
12 Matches will be played in Brabourne stadium for the Women’s IPL 2023
The Brabourne Stadium is a cricket ground in the Indian city of Mumbai, which was the home ground of Mumbai Men’s and Mumbai Women’s cricket team’s.